LA MONSE CHAPEL
The La Monse chapel has reigned over this little hill and the adjoining mountain pasture for four centuries.
We owe this sanctuary to François Galley, an inhabitant of Charmey, who in 1614 bequeathed a sum of money to build the chapel. It is under the protection of Saint Francis of Assisi, the Italian who loved nature and non-violence.
The mountain chalet near the chapel, one of the oldest in the canton, dates from the 16th century.
A pathway lined with maples and lime trees leads to the chapel. It is edged by a remarkable dry stone wall, restored by apprentices as part of an environmental project.